» » Geography of the Lake Winnipeg

Geography of the Lake Winnipeg

LOCATED IN THE SOUTHEAST portion of the Canadian province of Manitoba, Lake Winnipeg (Cree for “murky or muddy waters”) is 266 mile (428 kilometer) long and has an area of 9,417 square mile (24,390 square kilometer). English explorer Henry Kelsey was the first European to visit the area in 1690 and is believed to have given the lake its name. The lake has an average depth of 50 foot (14 meter), is 713 foot (217 meter) at its deepest point, and is located 711 foot (216 meter) above sea level. The lake generally is frozen over from November through March. The lake is part of the huge Nelson River drainage basin, which extends from the Canadian Rockies in western Canada to near lake Superior in southwestern Ontario. The lake’s watershed measures about 380,001 square mile (984,200 square kilometer). The 2 largest suppliers of water to the lake are the Winnipeg and Saskatchewan rivers, accounting for 75 percent of the inflow. Other rivers such as the Red, Dauphin, and Berens, make up the remaining 25 percent. The lake itself is drained by the Nelson River, which flows from the northeast part of the lake to Hudson Bay. Spring and summer account for the largest inflow periods for the lake because of the melting of mountain snows and the area’s generally wetter springs. Lake Winnipeg, the 13th-largest lake in the world and the 11th largest freshwater lake, is located in an area known as the Lake Agassiz Basin, which is a remnant of Lake Agassiz, a prehistoric glacial lake. A number of islands are found within the lake including, Hecla, Reindeer, Berens, and Black, which form part of Hecla Provincial Park. The lake is an important part of the Lake Winnipeg Regulation Project, which is part of Manitoba Hydro’s hydroelectric projects on the Nelson River. Manitoba Hydro is in charge of regulating the flow of the lake into the Nelson River, and Lake Winnipeg is used as a natural reservoir for hydroelectric development on the Nelson River. The main need for regulating the flow of the lake is due to the fact that the natural flow is opposite to the energy needs in the province. More electricity is consumed in winter than in summer, while the water flow into the Nelson River from Lake Winnipeg is naturally the opposite. The lake is also an important recreational and tourism destination especially along the southern shore of the lake, which is located only 30 mile (55 kilometer) from the Manitoba province capital of Winnipeg.The fish population is estimated to number nearly 4 million; major species include whitefish, perch, walleye, and pike. Fishing on Lake Winnipeg yields an average of $15 to 20 million per year. The lake is also home to a large number of birds, including the endangered piping plover, American white pelican, and bald eagle. Lake Winnipeg marks the western edge of the East-Side Forest, which is a vast boreal wilderness and is considered 1 of Canada’s most significant frontier forests.
  • image

    Geography of the Lake Victoria

    WITH AN AREA of 26,830 square mile (69,490 square kilometer), Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa and, after Lake
  • image

    Geography of the Lake Superior

    LAKE SUPERIOR IS THE coldest, deepest and largest of the Great Lakes, a group of lakes located along the border between the
  • image

    Geography of the Lake Ontario

    LAKE ONTARIO, BORDERED by the United States (New York state) and Canada (province of Ontario), is the smallest and easternmost
  • image

    Geography of the Lake Huron

    LAKE HURON IS ONE of the 5 Great Lakes and is named for the Hurons, a Native American people who once lived along its shores.
  • image

    Geography of the Lake Erie

    LAKE ERIE, bordered by the province of Ontario in Canada to the north, New York to the east, Pennsylvania and Ohio to the
  • Comments: